Hello, I have a new blog!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://www.thehollywoodsew.com

tabs

 photo home-rec_zpsd28e3fb5.png     photo about-rec_zpsfb3dcef4.png     photo maternity-rec_zps5b4884ae.png     photo baby-rec_zps951ce2ef.png

Friday, September 21, 2012

MY NEXT PROJECT: THE BABY SHOWER DRESS




After my last and first dressmaking experience I vowed to be a better planner before starting a project, and in an effort to exercise patience I am not going to touch the fabric for another week so I can fully research techniques that I will need and figure out the best way of doing each step. It seems wisest to copy an existing maternity dress to be sure of fit, so I am going to make a slightly altered version of the above dress shown here on our trip upstate last weekend. I'm thinking of adding fluttered sleeves since it is a fall shower and maybe a scalloped hem because well I just love scallops. I already picked out the fabric from Joann's, a satiny red polyester, yes not the most luxurious nor breathable of fabrics but I wanted this dress to be easier to work with after the fraying nightmare of the cotton gingham and I fell in love with the colour. Before I start I'm looking into how best to draft and finish the ruffle neckline and sleeve facings and refreshing myself on scallop construction.

I recently purchased the Burdastyle sewing handbook and am thoroughly smitten so far, the patterns and variations are my style and seem like they would be flattering (unlike the colette patterns which apart from the ginger skirt and peony dress would not suit my figure at all) and the instructions very clear which I need at this point. Other projects in the works right now include a kitchen table cloth, jersey swaddling cloths and various gifts for upcoming birthdays and baby gear thank you's.

No comments:

Post a Comment